1.12.2009

To Review

I'm in the midst of a four-day weekend, a nice break from working five days a week!

When I get back, I have to come in early for a meeting with our director of nursing services. I was wondering aloud what she wanted to meet with me about, when our RN+Reiki master told me that it was about time for my first quarterly review. She told me to expect to get feedback on what I'm doing well and what I need more help with, and then have an opportunity to tell her what I feel is going well and what I think I need more help with. Probably not in that order.

When I was interviewed for this job, the DNS did 90% of the talking. I took this as a bad sign initially, but I've noticed the interview isn't weighted very heavily into hiring decisions. This meeting may have a different tone to it, we'll see.

I feel compelled to over-prepare for this meeting, just like I did for my interview. I've been keeping an ear to the ground, keeping track of what other people have been saying about me via one or two of the other RNs that I feel like I can trust. The main thing, as I've indicated in a previous post, is everyone's hilarious overreaction to the two aides I've written up three times (for a total of three comm. sheets). One of them isn't working there anymore, much to the relief of everyone from the aides to the director of nursing services.

I think the problem here is that the communication sheets are private, where they should be obfuscated and shared with everyone. Doesn't that make sense? That way we can all learn from them.

I remember at the last national student nurse's association convention I had a nice chat with a woman from the national council of state boards of nursing education. She was giving a lecture about disciplinary cases from different states and what we can learn about them. I approached her afterwards and asked her if she had ever considered making a public "lesson's learned" database with the HIPAA details removed. This is something I saw the department of energy do back when I worked for a defense contractor. She thought it was a good idea. I still do.

Another big part of the problem is how those communication sheets are received by the people who get written up. I was actually "written up" by the RN+Reiki Master, and it was a very productive experience. We brainstormed other methods to prevent similar mistakes from happening in the future and decided on the best one to implement.

If I'm going to model the correct way to "take" one of these communication sheets, maybe the best thing to do is invite the aides to write ME up when they see me doing something wrong. I am new, after all! Maybe after they've had the chance to do that, they'll be able to see the correct way to respond to that situation. The way I show them.

*****

On a lighter note, I'm going to the NSNA convention in Nashville TN! It's in the middle of April, and this will be the first year I fly solo as a sustaining member instead of as the president of a school SNA chapter.

Now that I'll be free of my parliamentary and organizational duties, I should have more time to soak up the focus groups and presentations. There were lots of good ones I missed the past three times around, so I'm looking forward to perusing the line up for this year.

The convention is at a Gaylord resort again (the Gaylord Opryland), and after the experience of hanging out at the Gaylord Texan last year, I'm definately excited!

I'll make sure to take lots of pictures. Maybe I'll see some of you there!

No comments: