11.19.2008

Gravity

I'm slowly getting the hang of admissions. There's a LOT of paperwork, and I've had three different RNs walk me through the process. Eventually, I got to do one more or less "by myself", meaning the HUC still assembled the chart for me and prefilled a few of the name and date fields.

I think my learning process requires me, to a certain extent, to make mistakes when I do something on my own and then think -back- to what other people have shown me to avoid those mistakes in the future.

Next time, I'm going to remember to do all the paperwork I can as early as possible instead of leaving it for after my assessment. My admission assessment is taking way too long, unfortunately, the RN who's opinion I've come to weigh the most heavily told me I should be in and out of there in 20 minutes. By the time I've gone over every signature form with them, asked them all the questions, oriented them to the facility, completed a head-to-toe assessment, personally treated every wound I found and give a quick backrub, over an HOUR has gone by. There's definately some friction here between my administrative responsibilities as the charge RN and my desire to spend time at the bedside. I'll figure it out, I just need to do a bunch more admissions.

This post has been moved to "SNiF-Confidential", an invitation-only blog. Now accepting regular or guest contributors!


My notebook continues to expand in volume, with dedicated summary pages to therapy consults and lab values. A few angrily scribbled comments in red like "neglect risk", "watch closely", and "supervise care" pepper the pages. I've even started some entries for individual employees. I'm starting to realize I'm not responsible for just the just-under-fourty census of residents, I have 7 other people I have to assess and diagnose right along with them (2 LPNs, 5CNAs).

In my short time at this facility, I've already roped some of my friends into coming to visit and help out. One friend is a credentialed expressive therapist (mainly music), another one does reiki and tarot. The recreational therapist said she could probably get them money for their services. Another friend of mine is a medically retired psych nurse who's going to come in and do pet therapy with her two dogs and her caregiver. Another two friends are going to volunteer just to hang out and keep my residents company (under the strict understanding that they can't help out with toileting, hygiene, mobility, etc). Volunteer resources are so important, so where do they come from?

They come from people who are helped by the activity just as much as the people they're volunteering for.

I like the idea of drawing so many of my friends into what I'm doing, it's something I try to do with any of my interests, mainly Aikido and Go, but this is the only endeavor in which I've become rapidly successful in involving so many of my friends.

Well, so far anyway, we'll see what happens.

No comments: