4.22.2008

You Are Getting Very Sleepy

I had put off and put off preparing for my peer teaching assignment for weeks. Finally, a wake, a funeral, and a uke festival made it necessary to complete all of the preparation for this in between clinical shifts. I worked on it between about 1AM and 1:30AM. It's about neuro-linguistic programming. I suppose this is feeding into my developing stereotype as a soon-to-be "psych nurse", but I think a lot of these concepts are just as applicable to med-surg or any other nursing environment as they are in psych. In fact, its the utility for these techniques IN those settings that made me think it would be a good peer teaching project.

It's kind of like guerrilla psychotherapy. I'm not a psychotherapist, nor will I ever be one, but Erickson's concept of "brief therapy" can be extrapolated into the therapeutic relationships we should all be establishing as caregivers, and if we have the opportunity to improve outcomes with a kind touch or a well-placed word, why shouldn't we?

The other side of this is that we're conditioning people to respond to stimuli whether we're aware of it or not, so we might as well be aware of it. While we're at it, we might as well develop an awareness of how WE are conditioned and what can be done about that.

Unfortunately, half of my cohort is taking tomorrow off to prepare for our quiz on degenerative neuro and rehab, so I'll be giving my presentation to a mostly empty room. Maybe I'll video-record it. This is an amusing inverse of my last two peer-teaching presentations, during which my cohort was present but the instructors were absent.

No comments: